High quality wine is a wonderful gift to give to friends, family, or colleagues during the holidays. Most wine drinkers appreciate the thought that goes into selecting the perfect bottle of wine to gift. Here are a few considerations to make your holiday wine shopping experience seamless.
What is a Nice Wine for a Gift?
When selecting a wine for a gift, consider the giftee. You’ll want to know their preferences and tastes for wine. If they are quite particular about what they drink, try to hand select the perfect bottle tailored to what they like to drink. Think about what they serve you in their home. Do they tend to pour local wines or international wines? Are the wines fruity or more complex with layers of various non-fruit characteristics? Do they tend to have some age? Once you’ve put some thought into all of these questions, you’re ready to select a high-quality wine based on your giftee’s preferences.
If you are gifting wine to someone who is more open to a variety of wines, you can hand select a bottle that you love and gift it to them. Alternatively, you can opt for a wine subscription box where experts curate a selection for you.
Wine Gift Ideas: If you’re looking for some ideas for great grape varieties and wine styles to gift, here’s a quick list.
• Champagne: You can never go wrong with Champagne! The aromas of toast and brioche balanced by the fresh palate just makes it such a delight. Make sure you buy the real deal from Champagne, France. If you’re on a budget, try to find a grower-producer as they tend to be much more affordable than the big brands who pass on their marketing costs to consumers. Alternatively, if your giftee enjoys fruity bubbles, Prosecco is a great gift of sparkling wine that won’t break the bank. Check out our current "Holiday Bubbles" package designed for the sparkling fanatic!
• Burgundy Pinot Noir: Pinot Noir from Burgundy, especially at a Premier Cru or Grand Cru level, is always a treat. The wines are beautifully balanced between both fruity and earthy notes. They are light, fresh, and popular among many wine drinkers.
• A Delicious Cab: A Cabernet Sauvignon (LIKE THESE) is a great choice for a friend, family member, or colleague who loves big bold wines. They are great for aging or can be enjoyed young by any giftees who enjoy ripe and jammy fruits on the nose and palate.
• Barolo: This classic and world-renowned wine from Piedmont, Italy is a wonderful wine for gifting. With its aromas of red cherry, fennel, and baking spices, as well as its bold tannins, it’s a truly special bottle of wine that any wine lover will appreciate. Here's one of our favorite picks: Doglotti Barolo.
• A Nice Chardonnay: For giftees who prefer white wine, a nice Chardonnay is a great gift. Depending on their tastes and preferences, you can opt for an oaked or unoaked version. The former tends to be a little nutty, buttery, and creamy, while the latter is a little fruitier. We have a wide variety of Chardonnay's to choose from!
• Wine Subscription Box: If you can’t decide on a single bottle of wine, give the gift of a box of wines! Wine subscription options, like the one in the picture, are curated by us and guaranteed to deliver on quality. We tirelessly procures wines from around the world to bring to our members monthly. We offer subscription levels from lower cost whites & reds, international varietals, high end bold reds, to our flagship ‘Coterie’ club which provides highly rated wines at discounted prices!
Check out all of our SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS!
How Do You Send Wine as a Gift?
To send wine as a gift, you have a few options. You can buy online and ship it directly to the giftee’s door. You could send the giftee a wine subscription box like the one mentioned above! You could even buy online, have it sent to your house and then hand deliver it personally. To buy online and ship to the giftee’s home, you’ll need to check state laws as they vary across the country. Wine delivery is legal in most states, but some have restrictions on signature requirements while others prohibit alcohol delivery entirely. We've taken care of this step for you, so no need to worry.
How Do You Decorate a Wine Bottle for a Gift?
If you are hand delivering a wine bottle for a gift, there are all sorts of fun ways to decorate the bottle in the spirit of the holidays. Here are a few ideas: Make it festive with a simple bow. Simply cut a piece of ribbon and tie a bow around the neck of the bottle. It’s simple but fun! Buy a wine gift bag. You can find these online or in person at many retailers, including the Big Box stores and dollar stores. Add some tissue for a little extra flair. Just make sure the bag is sturdy enough to handle the bottle! Buy a wine gift box. These are a little less readily available but can be found online. It makes the bottle of wine feel that much more special.
Wrap Up on Holiday Wine Gifting...
When gifting wine for the holidays, putting some thought into the giftee’s tastes and preferences for wine is essential. Think about the grape varieties, regions, and aromatic characteristics the giftee enjoys, then go from there.
Happy holidays from the Vino Coterie team!
Good Friends. Great Wine.